International applicants: Qualifications
Below you can find additional guidance for international applicants about the academic qualifications required.
Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC)
What is GBC?
Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) is a standard set by the British Psychological Society (BPS). It ensures that, before anyone starts a clinical psychology course, they have already studied psychology in enough breadth and depth to give a strong basis for their postgraduate training.
If your qualifications are from a UK or Irish university:
- please see the main Entry Requirements section for information about GBC
I have international qualifications - how do I get GBC?
If your qualifications are not from a UK or Irish university you must have them assessed by the BPS to see if they give you GBC. You do this by applying for Graduate Membership of the BPS. They will automatically assess your qualifications for GBC as part of your Graduate Membership application.
Just belonging to the BPS is not enough to allow you to apply for a clinical psychology course: you must also have GBC. Just belonging to the BPS does not require the breadth and depth of psychological knowledge that you need as a basis for your clinical training.
BPS Graduate Membership/GBC applications can take 8 weeks or more to process so you should apply as soon as possible, preferably before making your Clearing House application.
- Please contact the BPS for information on how to apply for Graduate Membership and GBC
How do I prove I have GBC?
If your qualifications meet the requirements, the BPS will write to you telling you that you have GBC. You need to provide a copy of this email/letter to the Clearing House.
- Please see the Documents section for further details of how to provide the email/letter
Your Clearing House application must be submitted by the closing date of 1.00pm (UK time) on 22 November 2023.
If you have your email/letter from the BPS in good time you can upload it to your Clearing House application before you submit.
However, do not delay submitting your Clearing House application. You can submit without the BPS email/letter and then forward it to us when you receive it.
What if my qualifications don't give me GBC?
If your qualifications do not meet the requirements for GBC you will need to take a conversion course.
- The BPS has a list of conversion courses - please select the Conversion Programme option for the Course Type
Qualifications and grades comparison
If you are unsure which qualifications and grades from your country are at a similar level to UK qualifications we suggest you contact either of the following for advice:
- UK ENIC is the designated UK national agency for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications. Managed on behalf of the UK Government they provide the only official UK source of information on international education systems and qualifications attained from outside the UK.
- Study UK is the British Council's website providing practical information and insight on UK education for international students.
5th September 2023