University of Birmingham
3 years (full-time)
You can email any enquiries after checking all 6 pages below, which cover most FAQs
Administration email:[email protected]
Who can apply:
We consider applications from current undergraduates who have gained relevant clinical experience prior to starting their degree.
Please see our Entry Requirements page for details of our minimum criteria.
Applicants require a 2:1 or above in their undergraduate degree
Applicants need at least 12 months full-time equivalent (FTE) experience relevant to the role of a Clinical Psychologist
For NHS-funded places, applicants need to be ordinarily resident in the UK and have Home Fees status.
For self-funded places, applicants need to have Overseas Fees status.
Please see our Entry Requirements page for more information.
We do not have any additional tests as part of short-listing
We do not participate in the Disability Confident scheme, but we actively encourage applications from people with a disability.
Please provide a document confirming your GBC status, plus:
- Undergraduate degree TRANSCRIPT
- Conversion course TRANSCRIPT (if completed)
This programme is approved/accredited by the:
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- British Psychological Society (BPS)
Approach and theories
The course takes a competency-based approach to clinical training
There is the opportunity to develop skills in a broad range of models, for example:
- CBT, Psychodynamic, Systemic, Behavioural, CAT, ACT, CFT
In addition to our core teaching curriculum and learning on placement, we also run specialist workshops in year 3 focussing on developing knowledge and skills in a range of models, presentations, client groups, services and psychological approaches that gives trainees the opportunity to shape and tailor their learning in the final year.
- Years 1 & 2 - placements are located in Birmingham, Solihull and the Black Country (which includes Sandwell, Dudley, Walsall and Wolverhampton).
- Year 3 – placements are possible across a wider geographical area, dependant on availability and competency / training need.
As this is a large geographical region, we strongly advise Trainees to either live within the area, or be able to readily commute to placements.
12th July 2023